9 September 2019 – Summary of NOUS Northwest Meeting
We will discontinue Evite immediately and begin utilizing the feature that is on Outlook. Floyd will handle the conversion. Floyd will meet with Harry before the end of Sept. to help him to utilize Outlook.
Floyd will set up outlook so the officers can get a current membership list.
Harry is getting a new computer to be able handle the membership list. Floyd will help Harry to be up to speed by the end of Sept. at the latest.
Only Harry, Floyd & I can send out emails to the general membership. The only exception will be Richard Griffin regarding the American essay contests.
Harry will send out notices of our general meetings, dinner meetings and trip events 2 & 1/2 weeks and again one week in advance. Outlook can be programmed to automatically send out the second notice. Discussion group meetings will be sent out 1 month before the scheduled meeting and include suggested sources for advanced study. Even if it is only to “research the subject on the web”. Longer lead times may be needed for special tours & events. All department heads will submit all meetings, events etc. to Harry, Solon & Floyd in sufficient time for Harry to be able send out proper notices. Once a date/event/meeting is decided upon No one is authorized to change it without my permission.
Harry will send out the minutes of all meetings & notices to Solon for inclusion in the web site.
Floyd will take over membership beginning immediately. Review all applications and add to our membership list. Then forward to the commanding officer with the applicants checks. The CO will send it off to National. Solon & Harry will be notified of the new member.
Cricket Laible has volunteered to contact all local service organizations and local stations to set up our NOUS presentations. Floyd will have all presentations fully to go by year end.
It was explained that SKYPE is a powerful tool that we should fully utilize. We had 6 members on skype for this meeting allowing us to@ directly communicate with 11 members. Floyd shared that telephone 1numbers won’t work on Skype. All must provide their skype address.
Jim has taken the lead with the high school essay contest for WA, Idaho & Oregon. He will keep us informed on the progress & need for judges for the web site.
Captain Laible will stay on as Treasure. He informed the group that National has been told that it is a matter of time now for the IRS to approve the request of group coverage for tax reporting.
Officers were approved for command year 2020 and the 2020 calendar of events & meetings were also approved. Some of the scheduled events are ” TBD” but will be fleshed out throughout the year. Joe has been asked to prepare a midway presentation. Floyd will arrange for the blimp presentation in Dec. Floyd will also check out the use of the Old Admirals quarters in Magnolia and/or the blimp hanger at the U of W. Capt. Laible will make arrangements to use the cafeteria on the Everett station. Skype will be used at all meetings, events etc. when possible.
John C. Laible
May 6, 2019 – Summary of the NOUS PNW Management meeting
The meeting was called to order at 1545 at the Makers Space.
Floyd assisted all to get up on skype. It is now working very well for all. We are definitely puzzled why more of our members are not signing up so that all can join in and participate with our NOUS PNW
Participants were: John Laible, Joe Valenta, Floyd Kersher, Jim Wold, John Gertin, Mark Thompson and David Todd via skype.
NOUS Midway meeting Everett Naval Base:
• The date has been changed to Saturday June 1, 2019. Same time, 11:30 at the Everett Naval Meal Facility. Floyd is ready to present “Women Code Breakers” that made Midway a success. The manager of the facility and his family have been invited and plan to attend. We will invite all that are eating there from the base to join us as well.
•Everyone will meet no later than 11:15 so we can car pool into the base. The driver must have a military ID and every one in the car must have a military ID or a valid drivers license for admission to the base.
NOUS PNW presentation on Memorial Day:
• We have been invited to make our first “Presentation” to the Veterans at the Overlake Terrace Living and Memory Care facility at 1425 May 27, 2019 for the veterans and staff that are living there.
• Floyd is ready for the presentation and we will have a practice run through on May 18th at Floyds home at 1600 hrs.
• Many of the patients are very active and may wish to join NOUS PNW. Wow that would be so great. We will encourage those who cannon attend our meetings and outings to bring on board skype and join us that way.
Presentations to Service Organizations:
• The 27th will be our test run and then we will hone any changes and begin contacting the various service organizations. Floyd has been asked to set up 4 different presentations and let the service organizations pick and choose which topic that would interest then.
We now have $696.14 in our bank account. Captain Laible chatted with National and has been told that the proper documents and check have been sent from National to the IRS to include us under their Non Profit umbrella. This should take effect for tax year 2019.
Sub base tour:
• John Gertin has contacted the Naval Sub Base to work on a tour of a Nuclear Submarine and the Trident Training Facility. It is a complicated process. We MUST have 20 or more participants, All must have proof of Being American Citizens (no your military ID will only get you on the base but not the tour), a valid pass port, birth certificate or enhanced drivers license will be the only acceptable documentation. Several dates were offered by the base. The best date was taken by the day after our meeting. The date of May 13, 2019 has been accepted. Please note that all dates are week days. Members of our NOUS PNW and those who we sponsor (wives, friends and children over the age of 11 are acceptable).
• Floyd will be sending out Evites soon. It is VERY IMPORTANT to respond as quickly as possible so we can have a count of participants. If we don’t meet the 20 minimum, we will have to call off this awesome trip.
• More information on your “evite” notice.
NOUS PNW Discussion Group Meeting:
• Captain Laible will host this meeting with a BBQ at his home. The meeting will be held on Saturday June 22 and will begin at 1800. Lots of delicious food and an open bar will be served while the discussions are being held. The subject is “looking at the future ship mission needs of the Navy”. Captain Joe Valenta will chair the meeting.
• An Evite will be sent out. Again, it will be important to respond so Cricket Laible can anticipate the food and seating requirements. If you should say “no” but change your mind, you are still absolutely welcome.
• Captain Laible’s address is 14519 NE 174th, Woodinville, Wa 98072. Tel # 206-794 Lots of easy parking. His house is easy to find – it has a flag pole with the American and Navy Flag.
• Looking for an informative and spirited discussion.
• Floyd has set up a trip on a special tug from Astoria to Portland for the Portland Rose Festival on June 5, 2019 for the Parade of Ships. As of this writing, 2 spots are still open. Any questions about the openings and trip, please call Floyd at 206-669-1382.
The new member luncheon has been canceled for July.
The meeting was adjourned at 2000
15 March 2019 – Annual Vietnam Veterans’ Dinner, Arnie’s Restaurant, Mukilteo, WA
The meeting was called to order by Captain John C. Laible at Arnie’s restaurant, Mukilteo, Wa. at 1945. Present were Captain John Laible, Captain Joe Valenta, Commander Dan Limberg, Chief John Gertin, PO3 Mark Thompson, Floyd Kershner, Janine Whitaker and Cricket Laible.
Captain Laible expressed a special Thank You to Floyd Kershner for his fantastic extra effort setting up our detailed membership list and the many hours setting up the NOUS PNW Skype and Evite programs. Great job Floyd.
A hearty Thank You to Captain Joe Valenta for setting up this year’s Discussion Group subjects and meetings. When you attend, you would believe that you were a student back at the Naval War College. Another Great Job Joe.
Floyd and Mark are now working on our next step to educate the PNW about our NOUS organization. Floyd is now working on the script and technical procedures for presentations to all of the service organizations in the Greater Seattle area and to see if we can be spotlighted by our local TV stations for the “local interest” segments.
Mark will work on arranging the presentations to the service organizations and finding a better meeting environment at hopefully $0 cost or very minimum at locations convenient to our area members. Our outlying members can participate via Skype.
Since the theme for the nights dinner meeting was “Remembering our Viet Nam Veterans”, several of our members shared their stories of their service during that time. Captain Joe Valenta also shared about his time as the Gunnery Officer on the Cruiser Oklahoma City. He was on board when Life Magazine did a cover story with awesome pictures of the ship firing in the 8/6/65 issue. In addition he shared a picture of himself with the Oklahoma City in the back ground just before it became a “Reef”.
PO3 Mark Thompson shared his experience attending the commissioning of the USS Tulsa (LCS-16) in San Francisco on 16 February 2019 and showed us the special commissioning challenge coins he received.
Our next meeting will be our second Discussion Group this year conducted by Captain Valenta at address to be advised. The meeting is scheduled from 5:30 pm until 8:00 pm, with the first 30 minutes devoted to setting up the Skype connections. And there will be an Administrative meeting to be held on May 6, location and time to be announced shortly. At that time, we will work on more special field trips and lectures for this year in addition to the schedule already organized.